BUILD IT YOURSELF Electrical Works – could it be Worth it, and how does Component P Affect Me?


Therefore what’s changed?

Consider the extraordinary increase over the last 10 to fifteen years of electrical equipment in your own home, such as:

Bathrooms – very low voltage lighting, electric showers, under-floor heating (popular in restrooms with tiled floors).

Leisure systems – computer systems, video, televisions’ (every child’s master bedroom seems to have a system nowadays).

Rooms – electric blankets, dryers, hair tongs.

Kitchens rapid dishwashers, tumble dryers, termes conseillés, microwaves, blenders, sandwich creators.

Gardens – lawn mowers, hedge trimmers, pond sends, and lighting.

Is it just about any wonder, then, that each season on average, there are ten deaths, 750 serious injuries along with 12 500 fires brought on by faulty electric work carried out by ambitious DO-IT-YOURSELF enthusiasts, “cowboy” electricians, or even deteriorating electrical installations?

Therefore, electrical work with a few small exceptions in the home has been regulated as part of the Building Rules under Part P. It is effective from the 1st associated with January 2005.

Failure to comply with Part P on the Building Regulations is an offender. It could result in obtaining the local authority to take out or put incorrect workmanship and fine anyone up to £5000. 00. It could also make it difficult to sell your property in the future.

Will any individual find out if I carry out several electrical works? I can claim it was done before. Thinking about receiving 2005.

If the work consists of the cable installation, you can quickly find out because, since Jan 2005, the colors from the cores have been promoted. Live is now brown (previously red), neutral is now glowing blue (previously black), and the planet remains the same (green/yellow)

Very the best scope of Part G?


·Outbuildings, sheds, abri, and greenhouses

·Garden illumination and power supplies (pond pumps etc . )

·Common areas in blocks associated with flats – stairways, laundries, etc. but not lifts

·Combined business premises and homes having a common supply (pubs, shops, etc . )

How can one comply with Part P?

You need to notify the Building Command Officer to comply with Aspect P if you employ a builder or an electrician who may be accredited with a self-certifying scheme (belongs to sometimes the N. I. M. E. I. C, Age. C. A or various other accredited service schemes).

Typically the accredited contractor or electrical installer will notify their certification service of the notifiable electric work completed by putting on a form (normally done within the “Web”). The accreditation support will then notify the relevant Creating Control Officer of all notifiable works carried out in his region (normally every month). He will then inform you he has the required notification.

You have to receive a Minor Works Certification from the contractor or electrician if the work entails an upgraded part or an alteration of any circuit.


An Electrical Installing Certificate if the works require a complete installation in the case of the latest build, a re-wire of any existing electrical installation, young kids a new circuit, or a key alteration, as in the case involving replacing a fuse aboard.

The certificate must be brought to you within a reasonable period of the completed works – one month. The certification and data must be protected, as this may be required before any future works that tend to be carried out or will be needed when you sell the property.

Suppose you decide that you are competent or even employ a person qualified by either experience or formal qualifications and not participate as an accredited contractor or electrical installer. In that case, you must inform your house Control Officer before graduation of the work. The Building Command Officer will typically inspect the completed work.

Depending on the power, the Building Control Officer should have a completed certificate in British Standard 7671 (I. E. E Regulations) and might insist upon an inspection by an accredited contractor or domestic electrical engineer who will supply an Infrequent Inspection Report.

This will, needless to say, entails a charge for that inspection by the Building Handle Officer, which, depending on the regional authority, can range from £50. 00 for a minor notifiable job to several hundreds of weights for a major notifiable career. Suppose the Building Control Official also insists upon a complete evaluation of the repairs by an accredited contractor or electrician with supplying your Periodic Inspection Report. In that case, this will likely also, of course, entail any charge.

In reality, most Developing Control Officers are not skilled to inspect the work and, as such, will endeavor to dissuade you from effecting the work; hence the extraordinary charges and the probable element of a Periodic Inspection Survey. If you carry out the work by yourself and it is acceptable to your neighborhood authority, it remains to be found whether it will be accepted once you come to sell your property.

For that reason, if you are trying to save money on the particular labor content of the performance, it will probably be a false overall economy.

Suppose I do decide to carry out the task myself. Can an accredited company or electrician certify the task for me, saving me the hassle and cost for that Building Control Officer?

Simply no – An accredited contractor or electrician cannot certify performance carried out by anybody else since he cannot inspect the full extent of the wiring, specifically where it is hidden in the information of the building. The only thing he could provide is a Periodic Check-up Report – a proper inspection of the wiring process but does not include an inspection connected with wiring within the fabric of the building I., e., within floors, etc. The Intermittent Inspection Report is not a new certificate. As such, it will not follow Part P, although seeing that above, some authorities could insist on one if you undertake the work yourself.

I want to swap broken socket instructions. Are you saying I need to advise or employ somebody accredited (Government approved)?

Not any – for example, you can replace recent accessories or a new damaged cable with just like (type and size).

The advantages of whether work is notifiable or not depend on the nature of the task and, very importantly, its place. Location is important because several locations, e. g., lavatories, gardens, and kitchens, might have an increased shock risk!

The data below shows examples of precisely what is notifiable and which is not. The checklist is not exhaustive, and should the task be required not to fall into one of the categories below, or if you have any doubt, I would firmly urge that you seek advice from any Building Control Officer, an accredited contractor, or electrical contractor.

You must be aware that the requirements in the Building Regulations apply to all the work carried out irrespective of whether they are notifiable.

Areas with a kitchen, bathroom, garden as well as special location


An extensive new installation or rewiring
Installing a new circuit (e.g., for socket outlets, light, or shower)
Fitting in addition to connecting a shower with an existing point
Replacing a new fuse board
Adding a new socket outlet to a recent circuit
Adding a light point to an existing circuit
Appropriate a storage heater with an existing adjacent point
Adding a supply to an outdoor shed, garage, or another outbuilding
Installing a lighting position or socket outlet in a very garden shed, garage, or different outbuilding
Installing a yard pond pump, including the source
Installing electric under flooring or ceiling heating
Putting in an electricity generator


Connecting a pot to an existing connection product
Replacing a damaged wire for a single circuit (cable to be the same size and also type and installed since original)
Replacing a broken accessory such as a light swap or socket outlet
Changing a light fitting
Connecting a product of equipment to an existing surrounding connection point
Fitting the storage heater to an active adjacent point
Replacing an immersion heater

Areas not necessarily in a kitchen, bathroom, back garden, or special location


A completely new installation or maybe rewiring
Installing a new outlet, e. g. for plug outlets, lighting, or shower area
Replacing a fuse aboard
Installing a lighting place or socket outlet outdoor
Installing and fitting some sort of storage heater, including the outlet
Installing electric under floors or ceiling heating
The installation of an electricity generator


Adding an outlet to an existing signal
Adding a lighting point out an existing circuit
Connecting the cooker to an existing link unit
Replacing a harmed cable for a single signal (cable to be the same dimension and type and set up as original)
Replacing the damaged accessory such as a lighting switch or socket store
Replacing a light fitting
Linking an item of equipment to a current adjacent connection point
Installation of a storage heater to the existing adjacent point
Updating an immersion heater

Read also: Developing A Computer